For active duty military personnel and their families, this summer could be a fun and educational one--select Connecticut museums will offer free admission for the season, beginning on Memorial Day.
The National Endowment of the Arts, Blue Star Families and the Department of Defense have teamed up with more than 1,500 museums nationwide to create the Blue Star Museums program, benefitting military families.
Participating museums across the country will offer free admission to personnel and their families starting on Memorial Day and continuing through Labor Day.
Here's a few of the area's participating museums, as listed on the Blue Star Museum website's interactive map:
- Cheshire - Barker Character, Comic & Cartoon Museum
- East Haddam - Nathan Hale School House
- Middletown - Kidcity Children's Museum, Middlesex County Historical Society-General Mansfield House
- New Haven - Yale Center for British Art, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
- New London - Lyman Allyn Art Museum, New London County Historical Society - Shaw Mansion, New London Maritime Society
Check out all participating museums here, listed by state.