After a sunny, but chilly, day Tuesday, Madison should expect high winds and the possibility of coastal flooding Wednesday throught Thursday morning, the National Weather Service said.
The potentially damaging winds Wednesday and Wednesday night will be north winds of about 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph, the NWS says.
"Winds of this magnitude will be capable of producing downed trees and power lines, as well as minor property damage," the NWS says.
The NWS also says a strong coastal storm could produce widespread minor to locally moderate or major coastal flooding Wednesday afternoon and night. High tide in Madison Wednesday will be 4:31 a.m. (4.64 feet) and 4:49 p.m.(4.66 feet). The evening high tide will be just after sunset, which is at 4:38 p.m.
High tide on Thursday morning is 5:25 a.m., about an hour before sunrise, which is at 6:30 a.m.
The NWS says tidal departures could be three to possibly four feet, resulting in beach erosion. "Large breaking waves of three to six feet on top of any surge could cause significant additional beach erosion around the times of high tide around and just after sunset on Wednesday, and again near daybreak on Thursday," the NWS says.
"Depending on the timing, track, and intensity of the coastal storm, minor to possibly moderate coastal flooding could occur across multiple high tide cycles. Widespread flooding of vulnerable shore roads and/or basemetns is possible, hampering full recovery efforts" following Superstorm Sandy, the NWS says. "Coastal residents should be alert for later statements and warnings, and take action to protect property."
NWS 7-DAY FORECAST
- Today Sunny, with a high near 45. North wind 3 to 8 mph.
- Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 29. Northeast wind 6 to 11 mph.
- Wednesday A chance of rain and snow before 1pm, then rain. High near 42. Breezy, with a north wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Wednesday Night Rain before 1am, then rain and snow. Low around 34. Breezy, with a north wind 21 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Thursday Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 10am. High near 45. North wind 15 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Thursday Night A chance of showers, mainly before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Friday Sunny, with a high near 52.
- Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 35.
- Saturday Sunny, with a high near 51.
- Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 38.
- Veterans Day Mostly sunny, with a high near 55.
- Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
- Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 61.