.

Neighbors, Volunteer Firefighters Come to the Rescue After Killingworth Home Catches Fire [VIDEO]

Robert and Joan Brown jumped into action Monday morning after lightning apparently sparked a fire at 24 Cow Pen Hill Road. Quick action by Robert, and an effective response from volunteer firefighters followed.

 

Robert and Joan Brown were drinking coffee Monday morning at their home in Killingworth when they heard an unusually loud bang. It was lightning and in all likelihood it was the spark that caused the fire that eventually destroyed their neighbor's garage and three cars inside of it.

"It was horrible," Joan recalled Monday afternoon. "We heard this huge crack that sounded like a gunshot in your ear and we both jumped off the floor and I looked over and right after that is when I saw the flickering of a fire."

Joan immediately called 911. Meanwhile, despite the pouring rain and rumbling thunder, her husband rushed next door to 20 Cow Pen Hill Road, scaling a stonewall before making it to his neighbor's front door.

"He's in good shape," Joan said about her husband, a retired state police sergeant.

Robert knocked several times but when no one answered right away, he contemplated breaking a window. But before he could, the homeowner came to the door.

"He says 'Mike, get out of the house, your house is on fire. The garage is on fire,'" said Mike Board.

It turns out, the 72-year-old was home alone. He'd heard the lightning strike but wasn't aware that his house was now on fire.

Within minutes, the Killingworth Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene. Firefighters from Haddam, Clinton, Madison, Chester, Deep River and Durham were also dispatched to provide mutual aid — including bringing in water needed to knock down the flames. 

Firefighers from both Haddam, Clinton, Chester, Deep River and Durham were dispatched to provide mutual aid. From Madison, the responded, along with the , the volunteer fire company in the south end of Madison.

"We brought a ladder truck and a tanker truck and went to work for them," said Madison Hose Co. No. 1 Captain Robert Kyttle.

By the time the fire was out, Board's garage and three cars — including a 1988 Lincoln Town Car in "brand new" condition — had been destroyed.

"This is just material stuff," Board said, still wearing the t-shirt and socks given to him by a neighbor.

While the fire marshal has yet to officially rule whether lightning caused the fire, Joan said she hopes to never have to go through anything like this again.

"It was like split second decision," she said. "My husband went over there and rescued Mike. Afterwards, he came over and thanked us."

Matt June 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Nice job on the quick stop KVFC! And it's nice to see an attentive neighbor try to help rather than standing there with a phone making a facebook video. Garages and cars can be replaced.
Ms. Renee W. Devonshire June 27, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Quick? What was their response time all knowing Matt?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »