“It was a busy night for the Clinton Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD),” said Assistant Chief Pete Lefrancois after the department responded to two fires within 12 hours.
Both fires were associated with wood stoves in nearby Clinton.
The first fire, said Lefrancois, occurred at 6pm last evening at the Old Mill Park development off Route 81.
“The fire at the manufactured home occurred when part of the homeowner’s wood stove caught fire,” said Lefrancois.
No one was injured at this fire. Mutual aid was received from the towns of Killingworth, Old Saybrook and Westbrook.
Just a short time later at 6am on Jan. 23, the CVFD responded to a second fire concerning a wood stove, this time at a single-family home on Brickyard Road.
“The fire was extinguished with minimal damage to the residence,” said Lefrancois.
No occupants of the second home were injured; however, a member of the CVFD received minor injuries.
As is common after any fire, the town’s fire marshal will review each incident.
Lefrancois wanted to stress the importance of being safe around your wood stove.
Here are a few tips:
- Know your stove, as every wood stove is a bit different. Read the manufacturer’s instructions thoroughly.
- Have your wood stove professionally installed by a certified installer.
- Schedule yearly maintenance on your wood stove by a certified worker.
- Have your chimney cleaned regularly by an experienced, certified company. If you are worried about chimney scams, ask for references, call them, ask your neighbors and friends whom they have used, and check on the company through a Better Business Bureau or other type agency.