A brush fire off of Boston Post Road near was extinguished by Madison Hose Co. No. 1 after a quick-thinking passerby alerted emergency officials about the fire.
Lincoln White of Madison said he had his son in the car and had just picked up his daughter from the , on 42 Old Boston Post Road, when he turned on to the Boston Post Road around 1 p.m. He saw a very smoky truck drive by. He was about to turn on to Wildwood Avenue when he looked in his rear view mirror and saw more smoke.
"I noticed the smoke was really sticking around. And then I saw what looked like a little fire, a very little fire, by the side of the road," he said.
White then pulled over into a nearby parking lot. He said he had a fire extinguisher in his car and he was tempted to take immediate action.
"It was so little I thought could have probably stamped it out. But I had both of my kids in the car, and my dog."
Instead, he decided it was more sensible to immediately call 911.
White said the little fire quickly spread to about 70-feet long, and started skipping from one spot to another. He said another passerby tried stamping out some of it before realizing how quickly it was spreading. "He had to walk away."
responded to the call around 1:06 p.m. Officials from the volunteer fire company were not immediately available for comment about the brush fire later Monday afternoon, because they were responding to an that occured around 4:32 p.m.
Also on Monday afternoon, a brush fire broke out in Branford off Pleasant Point Road overlooking the Stony Creek Trolley Trail,
Last week, dry conditions around the state, due in part to for this time of year and relatively little rainfall, sparked brush fires in Litchfield, Burlington, Suffield and Southington, according to NBC Connecticut.
Here are some safety tips from WXEdge, the extreme weather site, on how to reduce the chance of brush fires.
"With the increased risk of brush fires due to dry conditions, following a few safety tips can help save your life," the WXEdge slideshow says. "Whether you’re on the road, at home, or on foot, following these safety tips during this dry season can help drastically reduce the chance for fire."