Madison Property Owners Association January, 2014, Newsletter
2014 MPOA Mission Statement
The Madison Property Owners Association (MPOA) is a non-partisan civic organization which has acted on behalf of all town property owners since 1928. Our board of directors serves as volunteer representatives of all MPOA members. Our main focus is on holding property taxes to reasonable levels while preserving the quality of life we all enjoy in Madison. We do so by encouraging operating efficiencies and full transparency in all town government functions.
Some key MPOA activities:
· Sponsoring annual debates among candidates for town and state offices serving Madison.
· Conducting public forums on issues pertaining to improving efficiency of local government.
· Monitoring the annual budget process for Madison’s Education and town departments.
· Taking public positions to ensure that budgets and town expenditures are reasonable in light of current economic conditions.
· Championing for open and transparent town government activities.
· Pursuing establishment of an independent Ethics Commission to arbitrate and enforce town government ethics issues.
· Representing Madison property owners through MPOA board member participation in town efforts such as The Madison 2013 Plan of Conservation and Development, Madison Education Summit and the 2013 SCROG Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan.
· In 2012 we completed a two-year effort analyzing selected Madison School Policies involving fiscal accountability and controls.
· Working with Madison’s School Superintendent and the School Board’s Policy Committee, we found that these policies, combined with their underlying practices and procedures, are effective.
· We stand ready to initiate or participate in similar analysis projects as needed in the future.
· The board plans to publish periodic newsletters in the Madison Patch and maintain communications directly with all MPOA members.
We are seeking new members to join MPOA. Please consider becoming a member; it only requires that you be a current Madison property owner and pay a small annual membership fee. We are also looking for qualified MPOA members to serve on our Board of Directors.
We are also planning an annual meeting combined with a “Get to Know MPOA” reception for this coming Spring.
Prepared by: Bill Shauck, MPOA Secretary/ January 12, 2014