First Selectman Fillmore McPherson Friday at 3 p.m. ordered flags at town and school facilities in Madison be flown half mast, to express sympathy for "the horrible Newtown incident."
McPherson said town and school flags will be flown at half mast at least through Monday.
He asked the Madison Chamber of Commerce to ask businesses to fly their flags at half mast.
He also requested that town residents lower their flags.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy Friday afternoon also ordered U.S. and Connecticut flags to half-mast in recognition of the victims of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut this morning. Malloy said flags will fly at half-mast until burial services for the victims.
Here is some information on prayer vigils planned:
Tomorrow (Dec. 15, 2012)
- Goshen Church of Christ, Congregational-prayer service - Noon
- New Haven Green – United Church on the Green and Redeemer - candlelight vigil – 6 pm
- Roxbury – community candlelight gathering – no time given
- Norfield Congregational, Weston CT - Interfaith Prayer vigil - at some point this weekend
Sunday (Dec. 16, 2012)
- Newtown High School - Community-wide prayer service - 7 PM. High School is at 12 Berkshire Road.