The National Weather Service has issued a coastal flood advisory and hazardous weather outlook for late Tuesday into Wednesday morning.
The coastal flood advisory is in effect from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, along western Long Island Sound. Tidal departures could be two to three feet above astronomical tides, the NWS says.
"Breaking waves of two to four feet will locally enhance inundation," the NWS says. "Flooding of the most vulnerable shore roads and/or basements due to the height of the storm tide or wave splashover" is expected.
But "the majority of roads should remain passable with only isolated closures," the NWS said. "There is no sigificant threat to life and any impact on property is [expected to be] minimal."
"A coastal flood advisory indicates that onshore winds and tides will combine to generate flooding of low areas along the shore," the NWS said.
High tide Wednesday in Madison is at 11:46 a.m. Low tide is at 5:33 a.m. and 5:50 p.m.
Here is the forecast for the next week, as of Tuesday afternoon:
- Tuesday night: Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 3am. Low around 33. Northeast wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Wednesday: Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 8am. High near 42. Breezy, with a east wind 15 to 20 mph becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Wednesday Night: Rain likely before midnight, then rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 31. East wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Thursday: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 45. West wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Thursday Night: A chance of rain showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.
- Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
- Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37.
- Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35.