On the heels of a blizzard that dumped as much as two feet on the area overnight, the National Weather Service (NWS) is forecasting a period of freezing rain passing over southern Connecticut, including Brookfield and Fairfield County, beginning early Monday morning.
Though the ice and snowfall from this front will not be substantial, current road conditions and areas of fog predicted to set in have prompted the NWS to issue a Hazardous Weather Outlook for Monday morning.
“Ice accumulations are expected to be minimal, only a couple hundredths of an inch,” according to the NWS, “However, this, combined with the recent heavy snowfall could result in slick travel conditions during the morning commute.”
As of the most recent forecasts, there is a 30 percent chance of freezing rain after 3 a.m. Monday, increasing to 90 percent by 9 a.m. Temperatures will warm throughout the day but periods of rain and freezing rain are expected through Monday evening.
With more precipitation on the way, officials are urging residents to clear roofs, drainage areas and exhaust vents on Sunday before conditions make this more necessary and more difficult.
Here is the forecast for Madison:
- Sunday night: A slight chance of snow and freezing rain after 3am. Areas of fog after midnight. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 26. Light south wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Monday: Snow and freezing rain likely before 9am, then rain. Areas of fog. High near 44. South wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Monday Night: A chance of rain, mainly before 9pm. Patchy fog before 9pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. West wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 42. West wind 10 to 17 mph.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 7 to 13 mph.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
- Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.
- Saturday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.