Of even greater concern at this point, he said Thursday, are the town's utility accounts. The combination of very hot temperatures this past summer, combined with the intensely cold temperatures earlier this month, may mean that a special appropriation for the town's utility accounts will be needed.
"I'm guessing we're running a little bit heavy right now," when it comes to both the snow removal and the utility accounts he said. He said he plans to do a more detailed review and make a report to the Board of Finance at the board's next regular meeting, he said. The next regular meeting of the Board of Finance is Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. at town campus.
The National Weather Service is calling for a chance of snow Friday before 11 a.m., then mixed snow and freezing rain between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., with a slight chance of snow after 2 p.m. That should change to all rain as we move into the weekend, according to the current forecast.
Temperatures this weekend could get as high as into the 40's and 50's, which will feel like a heat wave after the recent cold snap.
Here is the extended forecast as of Thursday afternoon at about 1:30 p.m. For the latest forecast, check out weather.gov.
- Friday: A chance of snow before 11am, then a chance of snow and freezing rain between 11am and 2pm, then a slight chance of snow after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 38. South wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Friday Night: A slight chance of rain and snow between midnight and 2am, then a slight chance of rain after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 53. Southeast wind 6 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Saturday Night: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Sunday: A chance of showers before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 31.
- Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 47.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
- Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 41.