Join us for Open House Day on Saturday, June 9th! More than 175 Connecticut destinations from across the state are offering Connecticut residents discounted or free admission, free gifts or special exhibits and activities!
Open House Day is a great opportunity to not only go back to your favorite CT spots, but to also discover new destinations you may have never had a chance to check out before.
See below for activities in New Haven County and click here (http://bit.ly/IqQ86k) for the official Facebook invite!
Local Activities in New Haven County
- Guilford Art Center, Guilford – From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., visitors will receive a 10 percent discount on shop purchases and 15 percent for members.
- Henry Whitfield Museum, Guilford – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. “Puritans at Play,” all ages are invited to participate in games from the 17th century.
- Allis-Bushnell House, Madison – Free admission from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Costumed interpreters guide visitors through the 1785 home of Cornelius Bushnell. Each room in the historic house features a specific day and event in the history of Madison.
- Naugatuck Historical Society Museum, Naugatuck – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. offering special activities and programs.
- New Haven Museum, New Haven – Free admission from noon until 5 p.m. offering a special family workshop “Sun Prints.”
- Pardee-Morris House, New Haven – Free admission from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. with Colonial games, arts and craft activities for the kids, all free of charge.
- Yale Center for British Art, New Haven – Open 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Museum Shop offering a complimentary gift with every purchase. Enter a drawing for an exhibition publication of membership in the Yale Art museums.
- North Haven Historical Society, North Haven – From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. offering complimentary tours and refreshments. Also, free access to research materials including up to five copies made.
- Timexpo: The Timex Museum, Waterbury – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Ward-Heitmann House Museum, West Haven – Free admission from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Beverly Kay Gallery, Woodbridge – From 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., the first 50 visitors receive a complimentary Sotheby’s Folk Art and American catalogues, or a book of your choice from a certain selection.
- Gouveia Vineyards, Wallingford – From 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. children can get their face painted, families take tractor rides around the vineyard, treats for children, and hourly raffles (1 p.m.-3 p.m.).
- Paradise Hills Vineyard and Winery, Wallingford – Vineyard opened from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. offering free hayrides through the vineyard and raffles.
- Bishop’s Orchards Farm Market & Winery, Guilford – From 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., sample complimentary products, kids receive a fun giveaway, and browse around the Farmer’s Market.
- Eli Whitney Museum, Hamden – From 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., offering special walk-in project “Micro Titanics” and “Micro Monitors” for children 5-12 years old.
- Osborne Homestead Museum, Derby – From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., enjoy free tours of the Homestead, along with an outdoor history walk.
- West Haven Historical Society, West Haven -- Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Exhibits will feature the historical overview of West Haven public schools.
- Stone Schoolhouse Museum, Wolcott -- Free admission from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. On site, antique appraiser (one appraisal $3, two for $5) along with a tag sale.
- Allis-Bushnell House, Madison -- Free admission from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Costumed interpreters guide visitors through the 1785 home of Cornelius Bushnell. Each room in the historic house features a specific day and event in the history of Madison.
- Elm City Artists Gallery LLC, New Haven— Gallery opened from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., offering discount coupons on original artwork, demonstrations by various artists, refreshments, and raffles.
- General David Humphreys House, Ansonia—Free admission all day.
- Hyland House Museum, Guilford—Free admission from 11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Offering a 25% discount off a set of ten original Hyland House note cards.
- Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven-- Open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., and offering a complimentary copy of the 2011 publication “Art, Lux, et Veritas.”
- Southwind Farms, Watertown – Free admission to one of Connecticut’s largest alpaca farms from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Karen Rossi Studios, Norfolk – Free kids craft projects including rock painting, stick sculpture, and art from nature. Open studio from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
- Sharon Audubon Center, Sharon – Free admission for the Center’s building from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Birdwalk at 8 a.m., registration recommended but not necessary. Trails open from dawn until dusk.
- New England Ballet Company, Orange – Open classes for all ages including Ballet, Jazz, Tap and Zumba from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Along with studio performance of Peter and the Wolf and meet the company dancers.
- Quassy Amusement Park, Middlebury – One free all-day ride pass for the first 12 cars that request it through the Connecticut Open House Day. Park open from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. with special entertainment at the Carousel Theatre.
- Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo, Bridgeport – Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Maritime Aquarium, Norwalk – From 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., visitors will receive $2 off the Aquarium’s Adventure Pass; admission to the Aquarium and IMAX movie
- Mark Twain House and Museum , Hartford – Free family activities for Tom Sawyer Day and discount admission for Mark Twain House tours
- Lake Compounce Family Theme Park, Bristol - From 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. admission is reduced to $10 (plus tax). Park is open from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Chester/Hadlyme Ferry, Chester – From 10:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., visitors can ride for free aboard Selden III, the second oldest continuously operating ferry service in the state, which crosses the scenic Connecticut River near Gillette Castle State Park
- Connecticut River Expeditions, Haddam – RiverQuest will be offering a special reduced admission with the 60-minute Gillette Castle Viewing Cruise on the Connecticut River. Cruises depart at 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. Reduced admission is $5 per person
- Tanger Outlet Center, Westbrook – Open House Day customers will receive a free $5 coupon book by showing a valid Connecticut ID. Stores open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m.
- Lebanon Historical Society Museum, Lebanon – From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. enjoy demonstrations of traditional crafts, Model-T rides, farm animals, and hands-on activities
- Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme - Free entry to museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., plus special access to GardenFest activities, including “Blooms with a View” (15 stunning floral arrangements that interpret works of art) and “Pleasure Gardens: A Miniature Maharaja Place” (a miniature fantasy creation based on several maharaja palaces in India).